Here at All Tune and Lube in Tempe one of the questions we hear from time to time is “How can I make my car last?” There really isn’t and big mystery, just keep up on your scheduled maintenance and fix things before they become an emergency.
Here are the key items needed to keep your car alive:
- Change your oil on a regular basis! This is the biggest one. With conventional motor oil we recommend every 3,000 miles or 5-months. With synthetic motor oil every 5-6,000 miles or 6-months. The summer heat here is tough on an engine and your oil. If the oil isn’t changed regularly the engine will wear out faster than it needs to. You’ll also develop annoying oil leaks faster than you would otherwise.
- Keep a close eye on the condition of your automatic transmission fluid and get it serviced regularly! This is another big one and also an item that folks often overlook. There are a few newer cars that don’t require a transmission service so you want to check but for everyone else the transmission should be serviced every 30-60,000 miles, depending on the car and how you use it.
- Keep your belts and coolant hoses in good shape. A badly overheated engine is very often a ruined engine.
- Proper tire inflation is the key to the longevity of the tires. Underinflated tires wear the outside of the tread too quickly, over inflated tires wear the center out. Improper inflation is also pretty dangerous so stay on top of it.
- If you hear or feel something out of the ordinary find out what it is and get it fixed.
- If you don’t do the work yourself find an ASE Certified full service auto repair shop you trust and take it to them for everything. A good shop will be able to keep track of the maintenance you’ve had done to your car, what items will be needing attention in the future and they’ll be able to prioritize maintenance and repair issues so that you can budget for them.
There are plenty of additional items that could be put in here but these are the high spots. Of course All Tune & Lube in Tempe would like to be the shop does the work for you but regardless, take care of your car and it will last a very long time. That way you can brag about how wise you were in your decision to buy it!